Sunday, May 24, 2009

Side Projects

Since I have put down the shovels and heavy machinery for the year, I have finally had the time and motivation to work on some new stuff that I have had been wanting to do for a couple of years. The first is to build a prototype for a vertical herb garden like the one I saw at the Chicago Botanic Garden. I should have taken photos of the process so you can see how it's built from start to finish, but here is a photo of the one I made recently after it was planted.

I will add some more herbs and maybe more annuals to fill in some more of the holes, and the idea is that as the plants grow, the holes will be filled in to hide the chicken wire. I used 4" pots of herbs and annuals which is a chunk of money, so using flats or growing things from seed would be more cost effective here. But, using herbs makes it more purposeful than say a succulent wall, or selecting plants solely for appearance. I'll post more photos as the plants fill in. It will eventually hang on the garage wall.

The other fun thing I will be doing this summer are the flowers for my lovely friend Heather's wedding. I am really excited about filling my house up with cut flowers from the flower market and making arrangements and bouquets all day. Right now we are leaning towards bright colors like chartreuse and fuscia, and some lighter pink and coral accents. Dahlias will be in season, so think big and bright!

I am not a huge fan of cut flowers in garden design, instead opting for plants with showy foliage. But, when we moved into our house we acquired, along with ugly lawn and dandelions, some columbine, irises, gladiolus, calla lillies and dahlias. So, I've left them in the garden and quite enjoy them, actually. I make arrangements with them all Spring and Summer. This photo is the first arrangement of Spring. Probably from early May. It is just columbine and astromeria. Viola!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

beautiful flowers ... love the photo.