Friday, March 14, 2008

Walk the Talk

I have been shopping for new trucks this week because I brought on another full-time employee for the season in hopes of having a crew at the work site, and me being able to go off running around to appointments, getting supplies, making nursery runs, and picking up coffee on the way back to the site. I really want to get a diesel truck and convert it to biodiesel but I'm finding this to be very difficult. (cheap ones are hard to find).

I drive alot for work. Alot. And, I hate it. It might be the worst part of my job. So, I'm considering my options for lessening the impact I make by driving around all day. Someone suggested that I pay into a carbon offsets fund like carbonfund.org. I think this is a noble idea, and I gave it some thought. Essentially, the organization takes money from the person donating and gives it to organizations that help with renewable energy, energy efficiency, and reforestation, and the donor then feels justified about driving everywhere. (Hey - at least I cycle commute when I'm not working). Then I thought about the work that I do at the job sites and wondered how much carbon I'm offsetting by planting trees and shrubs all day everyday. So, I did a little search through my '07 records and counted how many trees Superwonderful planted last year - 39! (And, I would guess at least 500 shrubs and perennials.) Do I feel better as I'm driving my truck(s) everywhere? No Way. But, I am proud of little accomplishments like this that I make in my own little way.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello from Ohio!

Here's some info I found on how to conserve while driving:
Driving at an optimum speed of 45-55 km/hour
2. Maintaining correct tyre pressure in vehicles
3. Switch off the vehicle engine at traffic signals
4. Keep the vehicle's engine tuned
5. Do not ride the clutch while driving

I loved the stories and pics from Hawaii!

I miss you and can't wait to visit Portland again.

Kristen

Jeanne said...

Hello from Amelia Island! Keep planting those trees and shrubs and perennials in the beautiful city of Portland. JW

Jeanne said...

Whoops ... forgot to write "Amelia Island, Florida".

Rebecca said...

Yay for giving something back! That's awesome that you have planted so much.

I am so envious of your green thumb. Everything I try to plant dies but a major contributing factor could be that I have no idea what I'm doing and I live in the treacherous heat of Arizona! =)

Rebecca

Elizabeth Cardinal said...

Go native! I love that saguaro in your front yard.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon said...

Driving to the nursery is my least favorite part of landscape work in the Portland metro area, too. Exactly what I told my son last week.

Working on the site planting or contouring the soil is my favorite.

At least I'm learning to shut my engine down now when stopped for more than couple of minutes.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Beaverton / Portland